Friday, August 3, 2007

Stupid Things:.......

Stupid things. Everyone does them once in a while. Some people just happen to do them more than others... One stupid moment I'm not particularly proud to recall happened during finals week of my freshman year of high school. I had been anxious and worried all throughout the previous week because of my impending biology final, and the doom that I thought came with it. The night before finals, I attempted to cram my brain with any last information it might hold, checked and rechecked the schedule for exams, and went to bed feeling like I had prepared myself as well as I could. The next morning I got up too early, most likely because I was nervous and couldn't sleep well. I moped around my house, tried to kill some time before my finals, and then finally, when it was fifteen minutes to nine thirty, I grabbed my backpack and set out for school. I was still a few minutes early, so I wasn't surprised that not many people were in the school, but something felt wrong about the eerie quietness in the halls. A chilly wind blew in through the school doors, and a lone sheet of notebook paper fluttered up from the ground. A girl rushed past me from the outside, and almost collided with another teacher that had just entered the hallway.
"You'd better get a pass from the office, missy! You're twenty minutes late!", reprimanded the teacher. Still confused, I thought to myself, "Pshh, what IS this guy talking about?? It's still ten minutes to nine thirty!" And then.........a silent scream erupted inside of me, and a sense of panic welled up so rapidly it threatened to burst out. I was an IDIOT. I had thought I had prepared everything. I had studied as much as I could, but I had gotten the most important thing wrong- I had memorized the wrong time for exams!!! An internal battle raged inside me; should I proceed to my first final straight away, and tell my teacher that I was there all along, and how could he not have seen me?? Or, should I go get a pass from the office and hope that my teacher would think I had some sort of excuse for being late? I made my decision, and marched to the main office.
"Excuse me, I....kind of mixed up the testing times, so I need a pass to my first final," I stuttered.
I watched as the office secretaries shook their heads and clucked with disapproval, most likely thinking, "This has to be a freshman...". After I received the pass, I slinked out of the office with a feeling of utter stupidity, and raced to my first exam. Once there, I handed my teacher the pass, and hinted that the extremely heavy layer of snow on the ground had prevented me from getting here on time; I had tried my hardest to be punctual for this ever important examination, but had failed, and was extremely sorry.

No comments: